Capstone – Project Charter
Design a detailed strategy for customer service and customer retention
A Collaboration Between
Company Supervising Team
Course Info & Engagement Details
|School||University of Notre Dame Mendoza College of Business|
|Engagement Format||Capstone - Small Team Consulting Project - Students work in small groups of 2-6 directly with faculty and host company project champions on developing real solutions to real-world challenges.|
|Program||Business Analytics Masters Program|
|Course||MSBA Capstone – SPRING 2020|
|Students Enrolled||5 Students per Group (61 Enrolled in Program)|
|Meeting Day & Time||Monday OR Wednesday (3:00 - 4:50 PM ET)|
|Student Time Commitment||4-7 Hours Per Week|
|Company Time Commitment||2 Hours|
|Duration||14 weeks (01/20/2020 - 04/22/2020)|
|Departments Involved||Account Management|
Sales & Business Development
Software Design & Development
There are currently no students assigned.
December 1, 2019
School faculty will begin interviewing interested companies and discuss project ideas.
January 3, 2020
Final date for companies to express interest in participating.
January 10, 2020
School faculty and project champion finalize project charter, legal documents, and background materials.
January 20, 2020
OFFICIAL PROJECT LAUNCH: Companies are welcome to visit campus. Notre Dame is willing to provide hotel near campus for visiting company personnel. Goal is to meet the students and kickoff the project. Web conference as alternative is appropriate.
April 22, 2020
OFFICIAL PROJECT END: Companies are *encouraged* to visit campus for final presentations. Notre Dame is willing to provide hotel near campus for visiting company personnel. Web conference as alternative is acceptable.
Key Milestones & Project Process
January 29, 2020 - Explore UpTop's Website and Industry
- What’s a property manager?
- What does UpTop do?
- What does UpTop’s team look like?
- Why do customers need something like UpTop?
- Who are the key competitors?
Come to class prepared for a 30-minute web conference with the company’s executive team. Please prepare a list of questions to discuss throughout that session.
February 19, 2020 - Enterprise Sales Customer Service and Customer Retention Market Research
- How does enterprise customer service differ from B2C?
- How does customer retention differ from customer service?
- Review sales funnel for enterprise vs. B2C approach?
- What research exists around best practices for enterprise customer retention?
- What key criteria are needed for successful customer retention strategy? Consider:
Prepare a 15-minute presentation for the company based on your insights so that the company can provide feedback.
March 4, 2020 - Analyze UpTop's Current Customer Service Process
- Who does UpTop Serve? Who are the most essential stakeholders?
- How are these individuals tracked? How does the company interact with them?
- How does the company communicate with these customers? What tools are they using?
Prepare an in-class presentation and written Q&A for company to answer.
April 1, 2020 - Round 1 Recommendations: How do you suggest improving the customer retention process?
- How does UpTop’s customer retention strategy need to be improved?
- What tools would be required?
- What would be the cost-benefit of your proposed plan?
- How long would it take to implement?
- Who would be responsible for managing this process?
Present your 1st round of recommendations to the client for feedback and re-focus.
May 6, 2020 - Implementation & Technology Recommendation
- What are your final recommendations regarding UpTop’s customer retention strategy?
- What tools would you recommend moving forward with?
- How would you implement this plan?
- How would you measure success?
Prepare a final presentation for UpTop’s leadership team on the best way to improve their customer retention strategy.