Capstone – Project Charter
Multi-media, Virtual Reality Programming for Older Adults
A Collaboration Between
HOST VENUE ADDRESS
- Students will office out of our partner's office, Futurus, located at 500 Bishop St NW Suite A4, Atlanta, GA 30318. From Futurus' "About" page (https://futurus.com/about-us/):We work with the latest in tech to bring one of a kind experiences to our clients. Immersive and interactive engagement brings new life to any product or service presentation and we get you there. From virtual reality development to augmented reality mobile apps, micro-location enabled services and emerging technology consulting, we have the tools and experience to make your project stand out.
- A brief overview of the Virtual Reality space will provide a good foundation. Web-based resources:
- Futurus' blog - https://futurus.com/blog/
- Trade website - https://www.virtualreality-news.net
- Alchemy Sky's newsletter on our Phase 1 project - https://conta.cc/2MAqgjL
- Atlanta TV Spot regarding Phase 1 project - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQyHY_rhdns&t=4s
- NPR Article regarding VR and Older Adults - https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/06/29/483790504/virtual-reality-aimed-at-the-elderly-finds-new-fans?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160629?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160629
- Our objective is to conduct a product/service market study to answer the following questions:
- How well could we expect Older Adults to embrace VR technology for multi-media experiences to improve quality of life?
- Is there a profile of Older Adults that is more likely to embrace the technology vs. other parts of the demographic?
- Content - What VR multimedia content is most attractive for this demographic?
- Facilitation - This technology requires an interactive client. What is the threshold of interaction and do we need to consider a hired facilitator in order for the technology to be embraced? Would this be cost-effective?
- Estimated costs: creating/curating content, facilitating content, hardware/equipment
- Estimated revenue projections and models: SAS, per session, etc.
- Who is invoiced? (nursing home, 55+ community, individual, etc.)
- Note: We will be visiting a nursing home to conduct in-field research and interviews.
Company Supervising Team
Course Info & Engagement Details
|School||University of Notre Dame Mendoza College of Business|
|Engagement Format||Capstone - Small Team Consulting Project - Students work in small groups of 2-6 directly with faculty and host company project champions on developing real solutions to real-world challenges.|
|Program||College of Business|
|Course||2020 SPRING – MBA Interterm (IMPACT)|
|Students Enrolled||120 Enrolled, 2-5 per group per project|
|Meeting Day & Time||3/2 - 3/5/2019 on-site at host company|
|Student Time Commitment||1-3 Hours Per Week|
|Company Time Commitment||3-5 Hours|
|Duration||4 days (03/02/2020 - 03/05/2020)|
|Departments Involved||Product Design & Development|
Research & Development
There are currently no students assigned.
January 19, 2020
Student Teams Finalized. Companies provided with final roster of students that will be visiting your office to work on the interterm project.
February 7, 2020
Companies will send a formal welcome/on-boarding email to students to get them excited and ramped up for the project, which should include any pre-work/pre-reading. We’ll provide you with a template you can use when we notify you of your student roster.
March 2, 2020
OFFICIAL PROJECT LAUNCH: Students will be on-site working for the week
March 5, 2020
OFFICIAL PROJECT END: Students will present results to company leadership on-site
Key Milestones & Project Process
March 2, 2020 - Market Summary For Older Adults
We need to understand the potential market and hone in from that number. This would include a demographic, high-level summary of Older Adults (55+), where they live, purchasing power, etc.
A short powerpoint presentation (five to seven slides)
March 3, 2020 - Survey
We plan to spend at least a half of a day at a nursing home in the Greater Atlanta area. We will have VR equipment and content for the residents to try. We need to develop a short survey for the residents and staff to gauge interest.
Ten-question survey that can be administered in the field.
March 4, 2020 - Benchmark Analysis
We need to conduct research to ascertain if any similar projects have been attempted by other companies (for-profit or nonprofit). If so, how have they fared? What exactly is the product or service that they provide and how do they provide it? What is their content/application strategy? (Do they create content or procure it?). Can we ascertain any pricing? Is there a opportunity to license/partner with them? Note: Futurus will also be able to provide guidance for this milestone.
Eight to ten page write-up
March 5, 2020 - Final Write-Up
At the end of the project, we would like to have a summary that can be distributed to ASF and Futurus. We also would like to permission to have some of the final write-up on Futurus’ blog and ASF’s website.
Folding in the five to seven powerpoint slides from the market summary milestone, another eight to ten slides summarizing our findings from the field