Capstone – Project Charter
Use Weather Trend Data to Predict Stock Market Performance
A Collaboration Between
Company Supervising Team
Course Info & Engagement Details
|School||Montclair State University|
|Engagement Format||Capstone - Small Team Consulting Project - Students work in small groups of 2-6 directly with faculty and host company project champions on developing real solutions to real-world challenges.|
|Program||Masters in Business Analytics|
|Course||Analytics Practicum Fall 2020|
|Students Enrolled||8 Students (Teams of 4 Students per Project)|
|Meeting Day & Time||Tuesdays 7:00 - 8:15|
|Student Time Commitment||4-7 Hours Per Week|
|Company Time Commitment||2 Hours|
|Duration||(08/28/2020 - 12/04/2020)|
|Departments Involved||Data Management|
Product Design & Development
Research & Development
Software Design & Development
There are currently no supervisors assigned.
There are currently no students assigned.
September 30, 2020
Key Milestones & Project Process
September 10, 2020 - Get Up-To-Speed on Weather Trends International
- What does Weather Trends International do?
- What types of clients do they serve?
- What types of data do they use?
Prepare for official project kickoff where you’ll have a chance to run through a Q&A with Weather Trends International’s leadership team
September 24, 2020 - Analyze Weather Trends International's Data & Methodology
- What data points are available through Weather Trends International’s platform?
- Explore the data visualization tools available on the platform.
- How are their customers using this data?
- How does Weather Trends International customize the information for different types of clients?
- What are the use cases for the medical field?
Prepare a virtual Q&A session about the Weather Trends International platform and data
October 29, 2020 - Deep Dive on the Relationship Between Weather Data and the Stock Market
- What are the key tradable assets would you like to explore?
- Do you think these assets can be influenced by changes in the weather? Why or why not?
- Choose assets that you believe can be influenced by weather patterns: What are your predictions for how these assets might change in value based on weather trends?
- Are there any other companies helping traders leverage weather trends data to predict changes in the stock market? What are their models and product offerings? How are they similar or different to Weather Trends as a company?
- Can identify correlations between weather data and stock performance based on areas you’ve discovered? Prepare to present your preliminary findings.
Present a competitive analysis highlighting tactics used by competitors to use weather data to predict stock market performance? Present your predictions and any early findings that might showcase a correlation between weather data and the performance of certain tradable equities.
November 26, 2020 - How can Weather Trends International Leverage Correlation to Create Product
- Are there positive correlations between stock market performance and the weather?
- Is anyone else using this data?
- What makes your insights unique or novel?
- What could the product offering look like for investors?
- Who would be the target audience for these types of dashboards and data insights?
- How would these stakeholders be able to leverage insights from Weather Trends International to better plan ahead?
Prepare a final presentation and written report explaining to the leadership and Board of Weather Trends International how they should invest into a product that they can sell to traders that allows them to predict stock market performance based on weather trends.