Live Case – Project
Develop a Roll-Out Strategy to Virtually Engage 4000 Committed Volunteers at RMHC Jax through 2021.
A Collaboration Between
The Ronald McDonald House Charity of Jacksonville (RMHC Jax) serves as a “home away from home” for families who need to be near a hospital for their child’s medical treatment. At RMHC Jax, families are provided lodging, meals, transportation and a community of compassionate care.
RMHC Jax serves over 1500 families a year from 21 states and 14 foreign countries. In order to do so, the typically in-person volunteer base is critical to the operational success of the House. Volunteers also tend to be dedicated donors that organize offsite fundraisers and other types of awareness campaigns.
As a result of COVID-19, the RMHC Jax needs to develop several strategies to engage the 4000+ volunteers who have different demographics and engagement interests. This diverse network of volunteers is eager to serve when asked and can contribute through a variety of different ways. Volunteers hail from local corporations, universities, high schools, friends of families that are receiving care, as well as the local Jacksonville community. Traditionally, these volunteers engage through meal prep, front desk operations, greeting, decorating, education, games and entertainment, facility maintenance and management, as well as fundraising.
For example, past volunteer engagements have included students from the University of North Florida who spent time baking, crafting, and playing sports with kids at the RMHC Jax.
Your objective through this engagement is to help the RMHC Jax craft a strategy to leverage and engage their network of virtual volunteers. Not only are they looking for good ideas for campaigns and events, but they are also looking for implementation strategies and ways they can measure success.
Since COVID-19, RMHC Jax has tried the following virtual engagement tactics as examples:
- RMHC Jax is hosting their Annual “Light Up the House 5K”on Saturday, December 5th in a Virtual format for the first time ever. This event is being supported by the UNF Athletic Department. Their goal is to engage 1000 student athletes from UNF, in addition to their volunteer network.
- RMHC Jax hopes to leverage the UNF Taylor Leadership Institute to engage in non-profit fundraising around the Light Up the House 5K.
- RMHC Jax hosted their first-ever virtual cooking class with their in-house chef. There’s deep interest in further classes and RMHC Jax hopes to distribute the experience more widely with the help of local news networks.
- RMHC Jax is engaging their corporate sponsors through their Deck the Doors Campaign, which they are facilitating virtually for the first time. The Deck the Doors Campaign is an opportunity for supporters to write short notes on paper lightbulbs that are used to decorate all of the doors throughout the House.
- Additional tactics used by the RMHC Jax include bingo nights, book readings, and virtual scavenger hunts.
- RMHC Jax Annual Report
- A video from Diane Boyle the RMHC Jax, Executive Director
- Video montage of volunteer opportunities
- The RMHC Jax Mission Video that takes a look inside the House, amenities and programs with interviews from the families.
- Deck the Doors Guide
- UNF Cross Sector Collaboration Video
- CapSource IACBE Live Case Competition Rules
Corporate Social Responsibility
Product Design & Development
There are currently no supervisors assigned.
Experiential Learning Program Details
|School||The International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE)|
|Engagement Format||Live Case - Class Collaboration or Case Competition - This learning format allows educators to deliver experiential learning to students at scale. Students are often split into groups to work on a live case (or a series of cases) from a real host company that directly relates to key learning objectives.|
|Meeting Day & Time||N/A|
|Student Time Commitment||4-7 Hours Per Week|
|Company Time Commitment||2 Hours|
|Touchpoints & Assignments||Due Date||Submission|
Key Project Milestones
November 2, 2020 - Investigate current state of RMHC of Jacksonville
As you dive into the case, it’s important to understand the RMHC Jax plus the challenges they face in a post-COVID environment:
- What is the mission of the RMHC Jax?
- How does this compare to Ronald McDonald Houses around the globe?
- Why is there a RMHC in Jacksonville, Florida?
- Who does the RMHC Jax serve?
- Why are volunteers such a crucial part of their model?
Preview the resources page here: https://capsource.io/rmhcjax-materials/
Showcase your understanding of the current state of affairs at the Ronald McDonald House of Jacksonville in your final deliverables
November 9, 2020 - Analyze the current pilot virtual programs and ideate new virtual volunteer engagement ideas
Analyze the current pilot virtual programs:
- What strategies have been tested already?
- What has worked thus far?
- What do you think could be improved?
- How do these engagement strategies scale?
- What tools and resources are required in order to make these pilots successful?
Ideate new virtual volunteer engagement ideas:
- Who are the volunteers at RMHC Jax?
- What are the volunteers’ preferences and priorities?
- How do the volunteers make partnership decisions?
- How have volunteers preferences shifted over time? How have these preferences shifted with COVID-19?
- How do you project these preferences and priorities will change over the next few years?
- What should RMHC Jax keep in mind considering they are located in Jacksonville, Florida?
- How can the RMHC of Jacksonville stay true to its mission and engage volunteers in a virtual environment?
- How might different volunteer segments engage differently with the RMHC Jax? Are there different defining characteristics of each type of volunteer? How do those defining characteristics change by group? How does your plan accommodate all types of volunteers?
- Craft a list of ideas that may work in terms of engaging volunteers virtually
- In preparation for the Q&A Webinar, prepare any questions your team might have.
November 20, 2020 - Roll out a Strategy to Virtually Engage RMCH Jacksonville Volunteers
In these unprecedented times, develop a comprehensive strategy that the RMHC Jax can use to engage 4000 volunteers so that they can continue to serve their community and families in need.
Criteria for the strategy should include the following:
- What is your best strategy for virtually engaging volunteers?
- What types of volunteers would be most appropriate?
- How many virtual volunteers do you think you can engage through this campaign?
- What operational resources are required to coordinate and manage this campaign?
- If this is a fundraising campaign, how much money would this campaign yield? How?
- What would be the timeline of this campaign?
- How would you market this campaign? What communication channels and technology tools would you use to reach your target audience?
- How would you measure success of this campaign?
- How could you ensure volunteer satisfaction?
- How do you plan to measure volunteer engagement and outcomes?
Please submit your 5-page written report (+ appendix) in PDF format and link to your 3-minute explainer video to via this form by 12:00 PM ET. Late submissions will not be accepted.
There are no resources currently available