Capstone – Project
Modeling a Fast-Growing Business Over a 3-5 Year Period
A Collaboration Between
SwipeSense is expanding its product lines, and needs help building robust financial forecasts based on sales expectations. These forecasts will be used for cash runway management, investor relations, internal benchmarks, and lending applications. Students will work with the VP of Finance to learn the intricacies of the business, review the current way we forecast, and propose improvements to the system. Students who enroll in this course will:
- Learn about the operating and financial planning required to run a high growth venture-backed business in the Health Tech space
- Understand how the company deals with ambiguity in future variables and modeling scenarios that encompass severable moving pieces.
- This is a financial modeling exercise, so students should have a basic understanding of financial accounting and be familiar with an Income Statement, Balance Sheet, and Statement of Cash Flows.
- This is a SaaS business, so it is important they are familiar with the concept of deferred revenue and revenue recognition.
- There is also a hardware component to the business, which adds a big layer of complexity that normal software businesses don’t have, which is why Supply Chain is a preferred concentration below.
- MBA Concentrations preferred: Finance, Accounting, Supply Chain
- The current model is in Excel, so a basic knowledge here would be needed, with at least 1-2 students in the group having more advanced knowledge.
Purchasing, Logistics, Supply Chain
Reporting, Financial Planning & Analysis
The SwipeSense Platform is our technology infrastructure. It runs multiple applications simultaneously and monitors all of your core metrics in one place without the burden of logging in to multiple systems. Hospitals lower their costs and reduce preventable harm with our intelligent sensors and actionable insights. Our platform creates a truly connected, collaborative ecosystem designed to improve patient outcomes and reduce the cost of care.
Experiential Learning Program Details
|School||University of Notre Dame Mendoza College of Business|
|Engagement Format||Capstone - Small Team Consulting Project - Students work in small groups of 2-6 directly with faculty and host company project champions on developing real solutions to real-world challenges.|
|Students Enrolled||120 Enrolled, 4-5 per group per project|
|Meeting Day & Time||3/2 - 3/5/2019 on-site at host company|
|Student Time Commitment||1-3 Hours Per Week|
|Company Time Commitment||3-5 Hours|
|Touchpoints & Assignments||Due Date||Type|
Key Project Milestones
March 5, 2018 - Part 1: Business Model, Competitor, and KPI Analysis
- As an onboarding exercise, the SwipeSense wants you to get up-to-speed on their business.
- You will spend the first part of the day learning about the industry and the business
Onboarding Experience Deliverable
March 6, 2018 - Part 2: Financial Data Deep Dive
- SwipeSense wants you to better understand their current financial position and process of recording financial performance including key ledger categories.
- You will review the current financial position and projections of the company with the VP of Finance and be briefed on the challenges they currently face
Discuss in teams to determine strategy to help SwipeSense given the financial review.
March 7, 2018 - Part 3: Establish 3-5 Year Projections
- Create a model that forecasts our cash flow, I/S, and B/S into the next 5 years. This model should be driven by sales forecasts.
- Format this model to be able to easily compare a budget v. actual from a QBO extract once our financials are closed.
- Isolate leading indicators of success and turn them into KPIs that can be monitored automatically.
Suggested Deliverable:An Excel model that summarizes cash position, income statement, and balance sheet over the next 5 years.
March 8, 2018 - Part 5: Final Presentation
Create a comprehensive Final Presentation for SwipeSense.
Suggested Deliverable:SwipeSense is looking for a comprehensive overview of the work that was done. Prepare a presentation and paper that provides an overview of the process that was used and the results that were ultimately generated.
There are no resources currently available